Sunday, October 24, 2021

Comparing Le Jetee, the short, and 12 Monkeys, the full-length movie

 I will be comparing a short called Le Jetee and an article that describes 12 Monkeys as a full-length movie. I haven't seen either of these yet and haven't heard of either of them. My original google search gave me a description of Le Jetee and I think I will like it a lot.


Short Film: To be brutally honest, Le Jetee was only "ok". I like the foreign feel of the film and the introduction felt like where I got the bulk of the information. It was hard to process everything after the introduction, to be honest. There was so little and so much going on at the same time if that makes sense. There were images throughout which were kind of confusing but it made a bit of sense after I looked up how old this film was. I really didn't get the plot other than the parts with like time travel and Paris. It may have been a dystopia but I couldn't really tell.

This might help with my mystery genre with the style of Le Jetee. I want to make my film seem older, and I could use this old film as a reference for that goal.


Article on 12 Monkeys: So 12 Monkeys is adapted from Le Jetee, which I think is a good idea, unlike my last blog, because Le Jetee was nowhere near as good as the short film 9 in my opinion. Apparently, the theme of 12 Monkeys is that we cannot change the past and only the future. When I put that into the perspective of Le Jetee things start to make a little bit more sense. We see that. Gilliam expands upon the world of La Jetée by breaking down the realism that was present throughout that film, instead of giving his version of it a more technological bent. Which is a strategy which may be useful for me when I make my genre. I can figure out how to shorten down a full mystery into the time frame. Although 12 Monkeys is not a copy of Le Jetee, it helped me appreciate the original more.




No comments:

Post a Comment