Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Short Film Research: The Terrible Old Man

 I was excited to review this short film as it is based on an H.P Lovecraft story. Lovecraft is one of my favorite authors, and I was excited to see his writing on the screen. I have never heard of this short story before, however, I was excited to see how it would be. This one was pretty long, but I still liked it overall.

Common Sounds- Lots of wind, sounds for background like chimes to set the mood. There is dialogue also between the robbers and the old man, however, it isn't as important.

Common Mis-en-scene- This includes the scenes with the house decoration, the really good costumes to make it as Lovecraftian as possible, and the props used by the old man and the robbers.

Common Editing- Many backs and forth close shots and dolly shots in this film. Too many zooms, to be honest, it was kind of making me sick.

What did I like about the genre- How well the mystery was paced in this short film was amazing. I was mostly worried about the time when making mine and this helped to see how to properly pace a mystery. I also loved the actors in this they did a really good job.

What did I dislike- I didn't like the background for this. The background for what was happening seemed really sloppy. At least I learned what not to do.




No comments:

Post a Comment